Scouts of all ages are going to want to get in on the total solar eclipse in August and not just because of its amazing beauty. There’s a patch for that!
The Boy Scouts of America is making available a limited edition eclipse patch to Cub Scouts, Boy Scouts, and Venturing Scouts that participate in the eclipse.
How to earn the BSA 2017 Solar Eclipse patch
- Locate a site suitable for viewing the eclipse. Search Google for “eclipse viewing” and the name of your city or town to find events near you.
- See the exact path and precise timings at this NASA site.
- Describe how to safely view the eclipse.
- Never look directly at the sun. Instead, look directly at these tips from NASA on how to view the eclipse safely.
- Discuss with your group what you saw and felt during the eclipse.
- Post your comments and eclipse photos on social media using the hashtag #BSAEclipse2017.
- Do the following:
- Cub Scouts: Discuss what a solar eclipse is with your leaders.
- Boy Scouts and Varsity Scouts: Draw a diagram of the positions of the moon, earth, and sun to show how the solar eclipse occurs.
- Venturers: Research Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington’s 1919 experiment and discuss how it confirmed Einstein’s theory of general relativity.
- Ask your unit leader to buy the 2017 Solar Eclipse patch.
- You’ll find it at your local council service center.
They’ve even put together a website to help you find more ways to make the most of this once-in-a-lifetime celestial event at scouting.org/eclipse2017.