POCATELLO, Idaho (AP) — Federal authorities are confirming that a cyanide trap intended to kill coyotes in eastern Idaho instead killed a dog in an incident the local sheriff also says injured a 14-year-old boy.
The U.S. Department of Agriculture in a statement Friday confirms that workers placed the device that activated Thursday and resulted in the death of a 3-year-old Lab named Casey.
Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen says the boy was taken to a hospital to be tested for cyanide poisoning but was not seriously injured and was released.
The federal agency says it has removed from the area other cyanide devices called M-44s that are spring-activated and shoot poison into an animal’s mouth.
Capt. Dan Argyle said the device that activated was about 500 yards from the boy’s home near Pocatello.
An eastern Idaho sheriff says he’s investigating after a cyanide trap placed by federal authorities to kill coyotes injured a 14-year-old boy and killed his dog.
Bannock County Sheriff Lorin Nielsen tells the Idaho State Journal that the device activated Thursday near Pocatello.
Nielsen says the boy was taken to a hospital to be tested for cyanide poisoning but was not seriously injured and was released. The dog, a 3-year-old Lab named Casey, died.
Nielsen says the device was placed in the area by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
It’s a spring-activated device that is typically smeared with bait and shoots poison into an animal’s mouth when it tugs on the trap.
Federal authorities declined to comment when contacted Friday by The Associated Press.