No Picture
World News

Prince Harry Walks 17 Miles with Wounded Veterans

Chris Jackson/Getty Images(LONDON) — Prince Harry has taken to the streets, literally.

The 31-year-old prince vowed that he would join the Walking with the Wounded’s 1,000-mile trek across Britain, and on Wednesday morning, he kept his promise.

Prince Harry, who is fifth-in-line to the British throne, joined six wounded service members, including two Americans, in Shropshire for their 17-mile leg of the walk Wednesday.

The service members began the walk on Aug. 22 in Scotland and are expected to finish at Buckingham Palace on Nov. 1.

Prince Harry and the service members were also joined by former Miami Dolphins’ star Dan Marino on Wednesday in support of the walk.

Captain Wales, as Prince Harry was known in the Army, served two tours of duty in Iraq and retired as an Apache pilot in June. He is the Royal Patron of the Walking with the Wounded charity and hasn’t been afraid to take on the challenges himself to show his support.

He joined the team in the North Pole in 2011 and made the grueling mission to the South Pole in 2013.

Prince Harry also used his profile to start the Invictus Games, a Paralympic-style games for wounded and former service members. The games launched in 2014 in the U.K. and Prince Harry will bring them to ESPN’s Wide World of Sports complex in Orlando, Florida, in 2016.

In a new interview with Britain’s ITV News, Prince Harry said society needs to do more to support those suffering mental health issues, both in military and civilian life.

“We need to do more. Not just with these guys but with everybody,” the prince said. “Mental health is a sensitive subject among a lot of people but it doesn’t need to be. I think we need to talk about it more, get rid of the stigma.”

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more […]

No Picture
Entertainment

Porsche Responds to Lawsuit Stemming from Paul Walker’s Death

Universal(LOS ANGELES) — Porsche has responded to the lawsuit filed by the teenage daughter of Paul Walker earlier this week.

Walker was riding in a Porsche Carrera GT driven by his friend Roger Rodas in November 2013 when Rodas lost control of the car, which struck trees and burst into flames.

The lawsuit from 16-year-old Meadow Walker claims the vehicle had design defects, and that it was traveling 63 to 71 miles per hour when it spun out of control.

In a statement provided to Entertainment Weekly, a representative for Porsche says, “As we have said before, we are very sad whenever anyone is hurt in a Porsche vehicle, but we believe the authorities’ reports in this case clearly establish that this tragic crash resulted from reckless driving and excessive speed.”

An investigation by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and California Highway Patrol had concluded that unsafe speed caused the crash.

“The bottom line is that the Porsche Carrera GT is a dangerous car. It doesn’t belong on the street. And we shouldn’t be without Paul Walker or his friend, Roger Rodas,” Meadow Walker’s lawyer, Jeff Milam, told ABC News regarding the suit filed Monday in California Superior Court. The lawsuit does not state the monetary amount in damages being sought by the plaintiff.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more […]

No Picture
Sports

Federal Appeals Court Strikes Down Plan to Pay College Athletes

Lance King/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — A federal appeals court ruled on Wednesday that NCAA rules restricting payment to student-athletes violate anti-trust laws.

The judges encouraged universities to offer scholarships to student-athletes up to the full cost of attendance but struck down a plan to pay them up to $5,000 a year in deferred compensation.

“We have not completely reviewed the court’s 78-page decision, but we agree with the court that the injunction ‘allowing students to be paid cash compensation of up to $5,000 per year was erroneous,’” NCAA President Mark Emmert said in a statement following the court’s decision. “Since Aug. 1, the NCAA has allowed member schools to provide up to full cost of attendance; however, we disagree that it should be mandated by the courts.”

The case is a defeat for former UCLA standout Ed O’Bannon, who sued after he was depicted in a college basketball video game.

But while this ruling means college athletes cannot be paid for their name, image or likeness, it does open the door to the idea of completely payig college athletes or not paying them at all.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more […]

No Picture
Business / Financial

Amtrak to Start Charging Passengers Who Exceed Bag Limit

Alex Wong/Getty Images(NEW YORK) — It looks like Amtrak is taking a page from the airline industry’s playbook: It will now start charging passengers for baggage.

Amtrak, starting Thursday, will charge passengers $20 for bags, but only if they exceed the luggage item limit.

Passengers are currently allowed to board free of charge with two personal items — such as a backpack, purse or laptop — that weigh 25 pounds or less, along with two carry-on bags weighing 50 pounds or less. If traveling with children, passengers can bring an additional stroller or diaper bag.

The fee will apply to any passenger exceeding those limits.

Amtrak historically has struggled to earn money, and no doubt the baggage fees are seen as a way to boost its bottom line. It’s certainly worked for the airlines: the Department of Transportation reports last year, baggage fees generated more than $3.5 billion in revenue for U.S. carriers.

Copyright © 2015, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

…read more […]